Friday 14 March 2014

Another quick problem question to sharpen your skills!

Fancy a quick problem question to sharpen your skills? This is taken directly from a forum with a few details changed to protect their identity. Imagining the poster was your client, do they have a viable claim for damages under the Law in England and Wales? If so, on what grounds?

Hello,

I hope you can help me with this issue.

A while back a couple moved to the street where I live. The street is a residential street with only residential private houses, where mainly families with children live. It looks like the man is running a business out of his property, which I think is rented. This in itself is not a problem. However his business seems to be about delivering fresh produce. Since he started this, we have large vans parking outside our windows slamming doors, very loudly whilst they unpack the fruit/veg, after these vans leave you then have the guy loading these onto his vans, once again slamming doors, talking loudly, laughing etc. This would not be a problem if it was 6:30 - 7am. The problem is this takes place from 5 in the morning at times even earlier. Like I said, this is not a business street /high street, this is a quiet residential road and he wakes up everyone. We all work and have children that go to school and the noise is affecting our sleep. 

What I need to find out is does he need a permit from the council to be able to run this sort of business and is the council likely to give him a permit to work this way on a residential road?

Also how do I find out who the landlord is so I can write to them about it. I have tried talking to him but he just ignores me and walks away, it will reach a point where I will have to contact someone about it.

Thank you
Please post your answers or even a rough draft in the comments below. And yes, this does count as revision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think so please comment below!